Lothian has been awarded more than £300,000 funding from the Scottish Government’s Scottish Bus Emissions Abatement Retrofit (BEAR) programme, including full funding for retrofitting 11 buses and a further 25 buses have been awarded 40 per cent funding, with Lothian paying the remaining 60 per cent of the project costs.
The BEAR programme was set up by the Scottish Government with an aim to fit buses/coaches with approved retrofit technology measures to support the delivery of Scotland’s Low Emission Zones.
“We are fully committed to improving air quality across all our operations in Edinburgh and the Lothian’s through our ambitious Bus2020 strategy, in line with the Scottish Government’s Climate Change Targets,” says Claire McVicar, Lothian environmental officer leading on the Bus2020 project.
“We are delighted to receive further funding from the Scottish Government to assist us in achieving our aims. This funding combined with our own substantial investment, will be used to retrofit 36 of our Euro 5 buses to Euro 6 standard, enabling us to continue to reduce our emissions in some of Edinburgh’s key air quality management areas.”
Lothian’s Bus2020 commitment involves removeing more than 12,000 tonnes of CO2 from its carbon footprint.